8/02/2007

Tragedy

With every tragedy, comes ridiculous quotes and other things that anger me when I read about them.

"Obviously, this is a catastrophe of historic proportions for Minnesota," said Pawlenty said.


This line upsets for two reasons: First, because when all is said and done, and everybody looks back on this event, Tim Pawlenty wants to be remembered as the Governor who got everybody through these times. This is a catastrophe of ANY proportions, dickweed. Second, just read the sentence. "said Pawlenty said." Really? Did he say it twice? This is an AP article posted on Yahoo News. Now, after dating an AP-phile, I know that the standards associated with their "style" and journalism is second-to-none. Jesus...fix this. It makes you look like a goddamn commenter on some douchebag's blog.

Then, I read about additional coverage on the story:

* Rescuers brave horrific scene
* Cracking, vibration may have contributed to collapse, former NTSB official says
* Bridge was rated 'structurally deficient' in 2005
* 'It was the worst thing I've seen in my entire life'
* Contractor working on bridge repair is a major player in the state
* 59 on school bus survive plunge
* Hospitals deal with injuries
* Other bridge collapse disasters
* Wolves owner says his granddaughter was on bridge when it collapsed


What makes the Wolves owner so goddamn special, that he gets his own link to the tragedy by saying his granddaughter was on the bridge. That's about as relevant as saying that my third cousin knows someone who dated someone who walked on that bridge as a kid in the fifties. Who fucking cares? That being said, I hope she's ok.

Oh...and the seventh relevant story, "Hospitals deal with injuries"? Brilliant. Coming next, Police deal with crime, and the fire department extinguish fires.

I'm upset because now I have to deal with people saying to me, "Wow...how about that bridge collapse?" or the constant updates about how many people died, how many cars were involved, or how long it's going to take for the bridge to be rebuilt. It's not like I'm not looking for this information myself, and if I'm not, it's because I don't want to know. Quit bringing it up. I don't look forward to work today.

All in all, my thoughts are out there for the people involved with this, and I wish them the best. And I'd like to thank Yahoo News for giving me a little chuckle while reading:



I selected it to notify me when boom boom boom happens.

No comments: