7/20/2007

Harry Potter and th..Jesus Christ, what am I doing at Barnes and Noble at midnight?

Really? I'm going to the Harry Potter book release shindig at midnight at my local Barnes and Noble with Caroline.

First off, I don't read books much, let alone any of the HP books. Secondly, I'm not much for late night gatherings that interfere with my sleep.

That being said, I do, however, have a morbid curiosity as to the kind of people that do attend these functions. As a member of the superhero fanclub, I can appreciate these kind of things. I expect the antics to be of a different variety, though.

I recall the first Spider-Man movie. There was a dude in full costume, including silly-string web-shooters. But that was pretty much it. I don't remember anybody with knives attached to their knuckles for X-Men, or seeing any capes for Superman Returns (although there were a lot of t-shirts with the "S" logo, including my friend's)

Potter, on the other hand...hoh-boy.

I can only fathom what this will be like. It'll be halloween, all over again for some kids. Potter's glasses, eyeliner scars, mom's hand knit scarf, Ron's red hair, Hermione's cob-web hair, Hogwart's Emblem, Snape's evil stare, Dumbledore's beard, Hagrid's girth, Voldemort's nose. I imagine that almost everyone will be wearing some form of accessory to prove their devotion to the biggest thing since Choose Your Own Adventure.

Me? I was planning on going as Harry Potter at 30 years old. It wouldn't be much of a difference, but I think the kids wouldn't be happy with it.

No comments: